By Ryan K. Balot
- A provocative and wide-ranging heritage of historic Greek political thought
- Demonstrates what historical Greek works of political philosophy may possibly suggest to electorate of the twenty-first century
- Examines an array of poetic, historic, and philosophical texts so as to find Greek political inspiration in its cultural context
- Pays cautious cognizance to the distinctively historical connections among politics and ethics
- Structured round key subject matters similar to the origins of political suggestion, political self-definition, revolutions in political concept, democracy and imperialism
Read or Download Greek Political Thought (Ancient Cultures) PDF
Best greek & roman philosophy books
Starting with Greece's earliest rites, this quantity strains the improvement of the vintage faith of the Olympian gods and discusses the faith of the philosophic faculties of the fourth century BC. It portrays the emergence of Christianity and concludes with an account of the efforts of Julian the Apostate to revive a brand new number of paganism.
Like us, the traditional Greeks and Romans got here to grasp and comprehend the area via their senses. but sensory adventure has hardly ever been thought of within the research of antiquity and, whilst the senses are tested, sight is often privileged. 'Synaesthesia and the traditional Senses' offers an intensive reappraisal of antiquity's textures, flavours, and aromas, sounds and points of interest.
Die Forschung zu den platonischen Frühdialogen hat vielfach festgestellt, dass der platonische Sokrates eine Rhetorik einsetzt, die auf Aporie, Verunsicherung und inflammation seiner Gesprächspartner zielt. Eine detaillierte examine der rhetorischen Strategien, die Verunsicherung induzieren, stellt jedoch bisher ein Desiderat dar.
Plato (428/427–348/347 BCE) was once a Greek thinker and mathematician of the vintage Age who based the Academy of Athens. famous as a pupil of Socrates, Plato has exotic himself as one of many founders of Western philosophy by way of recording the lessons of his grasp and his personal philosophies. this can be a surviving corpus of works attributed to Plato in antiquity.
- Los estoicos antiguos (Biblioteca Clásica Gredos) (Spanish Edition)
- Orphism and Christianity in Late Antiquity (Sozomena: Studies in the Recovery of Ancient Texts)
- The Argument and the Action of Plato's Laws
- Aristotle's Physics: A Collection of Essays (Clarendon Aristotle)
- Greek Heroes in and out of Hades (Greek Studies: Interdisciplinary Approaches)
- The Meaning of Aristotle’s ‘Ontology’
Extra resources for Greek Political Thought (Ancient Cultures)