By Alison Blunt
- The first booklet to check the Anglo-Indian neighborhood previous and current, in India, Britain and Australia.
- The first booklet by means of a geographer to target a group of combined descent.
- Investigates geographies of domestic and id for Anglo-Indian ladies within the 50 years earlier than and after Indian independence in 1947.
- Draws on interviews and concentration teams with over a hundred and fifty Anglo-Indians, in addition to archival research.
- Makes a particular contribution to debates approximately domestic, identification, hybridity, migration and diaspora.
Read Online or Download Domicile and Diaspora: Anglo-Indian Women and the Spatial Politics of Home (RGS-IBG Book Series) PDF
Similar human geography books
Largely considered as the authoritative textual content on improvement geography, this quantity examines the character and reasons of world inequality and significantly analyzes modern methods to fiscal improvement around the 3rd international. scholars achieve a deeper figuring out of the interacting dynamics of tradition, gender, race, and sophistication; biophysical components, similar to weather, inhabitants, and usual assets; and fiscal and political processes—all of that have ended in the present-day disparities among the 1st and 3rd worlds.
Incapacity Incarcerated gathers 13 contributions from a magnificent array of fields. Taken jointly, those essays assert complicated figuring out of incapacity is essential to an realizing of incarceration, and that we needs to extend what has emerge as known as 'incarceration. ' The chapters during this e-book research a number of websites, similar to prisons, associations for individuals with developmental disabilities, psychiatric hospitals, remedy facilities, specified schooling, detention facilities, and staff houses; discover why quite a few websites can be understood as incarceration; and talk about the explanations and results of those websites traditionally and at present.
Definite extraordinary areas, the place disruption or disarray rule, go away us estranged and 'out of place'. This booklet examines such areas, highlighting the emotional and mediated geographies of uncertainty and the nation of being 'in-between'; of cognitive displacement, loss, worry, or excitement. It expands on why area is usually estranging and for whom it's unusual.
Greenwashing tradition examines the complicity of culture with our environmental drawback. via its personal carbon footprint, the advertising of image-friendly environmental credentials for celebrities, and the together important engagement with immense polluters, Toby Miller argues that tradition has develop into an enabler of environmental criminals to win over neighborhood, nationwide, and overseas groups.
- Nomadic and Indigenous Spaces: Productions and Cognitions
- Aridity: Droughts and Human Development
- The Middle East and the Making of the Modern World
- Making Value and Career Building in the Creative Economy: Evidence from Contemporary Visual Art (SpringerBriefs in Geography)
- Encountering Affect: Capacities, Apparatuses, Conditions
- Human Biogeography
Extra resources for Domicile and Diaspora: Anglo-Indian Women and the Spatial Politics of Home (RGS-IBG Book Series)